How to Get Dog Urine Smell Out of Microfiber Couch
Today almost every third home has a dog. Some of them wait patiently for their owners to come home and take them out for a walk. But sometimes it happens that your pet is sick or nervous, or maybe tired of waiting. That’s when unpleasant mishaps happen, and your furniture, carpets, or slippers suffer for it. Shoes can be washed and carpet can be dry-cleaned. But what about a microfiber couch? Let’s try to get to the bottom of this question and find out how to clean dog pee from your sofa so it doesn’t leave a trace.
How to get dog pee smell out of couch: 5 methods
- Vinegar is a universal remedy for removing unpleasant odors, including the smell of dog urine. You can simply soak a cloth or a cotton swab in a 9% vinegar solution and soak the stained couch microfiber. Leave it for a while and then scrub it well with a sponge soaked in water. Better yet, spray vinegar in the air on and around the stain, which will also clean the air in the room. If the stain is small, it’s easy to dry it out with a regular hair dryer. You can use citric acid instead of vinegar. The effect will be the same.
- Enzyme cleaners available for sale at the pet stores are beyond competition. They are specifically designed for this purpose and remove the smell of dog urine without any problems. They often include probiotics, which break down the molecules of the dog’s hormonal secretions and recycle them. As a result, the odor is removed. At the same time, they also disinfect the problem area and prevent your dog from choosing the same spot to pee on next time. Before buying the product, make sure to ask if it’s good to use on microfiber.
- You can use baking soda by pouring it on the pre-moistened stain. You can also dilute it to the consistency of sour cream and spread it on top of it. Leave it sit there for a while and when it dries, vacuum the couch. You need to clean it well. There’s no harm to the material or to people from the baking soda. But if you leave some soda there, the remaining powder will absorb moisture from the air, and attract dust.
- Hydrogen peroxide fights the smell of urine well. Mix half a cup of it with one cup of water and treat the stain with the solution, then rinse with clean water. Make sure you have gloves on while you are at it. Also, keep in mind that this method will only be good for white-colored microfiber as hydrogen peroxide tends to cause discoloring.
- Alcohol or vodka can also deodorize problem areas well and the smell of alcohol discourages dogs from marking the place again.
Dog peeing on couch: why does it happen?
Urine stains are unpleasant but you shouldn’t forget about your pet while taking care of your upholstered furniture. In some cases, the puddles your pup leaves indoors are the result of behavioral problems but more often they indicate a medical condition in adult dogs or underlying pathology in puppies. Make sure you take your four-legged friend to the vet!